Tuesday, May 01, 2012

It's Just a Golf Ball

When playing at unfamiliar courses, I immediately check out the terrain. I'm not thinking course management and planning my shots. I'm assessing the threat level. Threat level? Yes, I'm checking out whether snakes and alligators are scoping me out as their prey.

Depending on locale, I'll ask members of my foursome and golf course staff whether I need to worry about snakes and alligators. If they say yes, then I declare to my group that I won't help look for their balls or mine.

It's just a golf ball... it may be a Pro V1 and a $4 golf ball, but it's absolutely a worthy investment for me to walk away from a ball if I think I'll be in danger looking for it. This applies whether I'm playing in a tournament or not. Call me chicken, and I'll proudly accept that label.

In Florida, a man was bitten by an alligator while searching near a pond for his ball. He said he was three feet from his death as the alligator dragged him into the lake. Fortunately for him, the alligator decided to release him. I can't imagine the terror that man felt.

Folks, it's not worth it; it's just a golf ball.
 

No comments: