Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Former Steelers' QB Kordell Stewart Retires

I will never forget playing at Cherokee Town & Country Club outside of Atlanta, GA. I was there to speak at Deloitte and arrived early, so I could play Cherokee. I was headed out of the Clubhouse when I opened the door for two gentlemen walking behind me. As I looked behind while holding the door open, I did a double take because it was Kordell Stewart and Jerome Bettis, both of the Steelers.

That in itself wasn't the unusual  part. What was unusual is two weeks earlier I was at Pebble Beach and they were teeing off two groups ahead of me. I mentioned that I saw them there and they were both surprised that I would know that as we stood at a local country club in Georgia.

I ended up playing with them after talking to Kordell as we hit balls at the range. I remember asking if he'd consider joining the Raiders, and he said he didn't think so. I also remember him correcting me when I said he was retired. He said he wasn't yet. Today, he officially did so. I'm not sure the ramifications of doing so, but I'm sure there must be a reason for him.

The two were gentlemen and I thoroughly enjoyed the round with them. I know they were betting, but Kordell wouldn't tell me the stakes. I'm sure it was more than for just a round of drinks. I hope our paths cross again, and would enjoy another round with them.




No comments: