Wednesday, June 20, 2012

My Tiger Prediction... I Was Half Right

After Tiger's victory at The Memorial, I predicted that he was back and he'd contend at the US Open.

He contended the first two days, but then sputtered along over the weekend. Watching Tiger now reminds me of watching Phil several years ago. I was a fan of Phil's, but then he'd make one of his risky decisions and lose the tournament. It was hard to root for him. I'm thinking of Winged Foot and going for the green on 18 at Pebble Beach.

Rooting for Tiger has become the same way. You see how he plays on Thursday and Friday and you think he's going to do it over the weekend. But it isn't so. Since he got his new swing and recovering from his injuries, this has now become common place. Maybe his nerves get to him now, or that new swing doesn't work when he's under pressure. I don't know what it is, but it's certainly not the Tiger of old who took the lead in a major and never looked back.

Nonetheless, it was great to see Webb Simpson win, albeit a bit anti-climatic. Would have loved to see a  playoff with him and McDowell, but all in all a great Open. I played Olympic a few years ago and it killed me then. With the new greens and that tall, thick rough, I can only imagine how painful it was to play.

And, if you're a financial advisor, you had to be cheering on Michael Allen. A retired stock broker, who has been a member of Olympic Club for decades. He shot an eagle on the first day. If you're an advisor and not using golf, you're missing out on the business action on the course.

It's the first day of summer and hope you have your next round in your calendar!


No comments: