Thursday, May 13, 2010

Tips to Avoid Slow Play

I found an article about how to speed up your play. Check it out at: http://budurl.com/lkk6

I have a couple of additional tips. First, limit your practice swings to 1-2. I've stood and watched people take 3-4 practice swings and I'm sure one of those would have been a better shot than their actual (and eventual) swing.

Second, don't stand over the ball at address for too long. I played behind a guy who stood over the ball and took the term "address" to a whole other level. My playing partners started counting how long his address was and it was 20-30 seconds before he hit the ball. You're familiar with that saying, "Paralysis by analysis." It doesn't help you stay relaxed and have a smooth swing, if you're standing like a statue before you take your swing.

Slow play is very detrimental to the game. When people complain they don't have time to play golf, slow play is a contributing factor. It's unnecessary and you really don't make friends with your playing partners if you play slowly and hold your group up.

I'm not saying you have to run through the course, but if you follow these tips, you should speed up your play. Play well and play more!

No comments: