Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Is This Statistically Possible?

I played in a Ladies Invitational today, and I'm hoping someone can run the numbers on this for me. I'm not a poor loser when I lose to a plausible score. But I have to question how a team can shoot 106 for two best net balls when par is 144. That's 38 strokes under par, or 19 strokes under per each side! Somehow this team shot two net birdies for eight holes, and on the other hole, the team shot one net birdie and one net eagle. They had to do this, or the equivalent, on both sides!

You must be thinking this must be a team comprised of four scratch golfers. In fact, they're not. Lowest handicap index is 8.1, the highest is 26.6, and the other two are about 14.5. They also only took 95% of our handicap, so the number of strokes we all received were even less.

Perhaps, there was a mathematical error and it should have been 116. Or, they played a different format than the rest of us. In any case, I find it hard to believe this score is correct.

If you're wondering, the second place team shot 118 and the rest were in the 120's. If you crank out the probability of a team shooting this score, please let me know.

On a much more serious note, it was reported today that Amy Mickelson has breast cancer, and Phil is on a layoff indefinitely from the Tour. My best wishes to her and her family as she fights this awful disease.

1 comment:

Suzanne Woo said...

I learned that a player played to an incorrect handicap for some reason. She was given eight extra strokes, and the team was disqualified.

If you're playing in a tournament, make sure your handicap is correct. If you play to a higher handicap, sign and return your score card, you'll be disqualified.