Sunday, July 05, 2009

Two Friends and Two Victories with a Pond Between

I awoke early this Sunday morning to watch Wimbeldon's Men's Championship between Roger Federer and Andy Roddick. Torn between wanting Andy, the American underdog and comeback kid, and Roger going for his 15th record-setting Grand Slam victory, I just wanted a close match. It wasn't just close, it was epic with the fifth and deciding match going to 16-14 games. Amazing tennis!

I had a 10:36 a.m. tee time at my club and wasn't sure if I'd make it to watch the finish. I set two VCRs to make sure I didn't miss the finish. I was thrilled to be able to see the finish at our Pro Shop with Federer victorious.

As I teed off, my foursome was still talking about the match. My Dad is soon to be 81 and has never played tennis, but he watched as much of Wimbeldon as he could. He teed off first and suddenly I was thinking golf. Before I left my home, I also set the VCR to record the final round of Tiger's tournament and wondered if Tiger knew his friend won today. If so, I knew it would spur on Tiger.

After my round, I went into the Clubhouse and found Tiger was chipping on 16, and sunk his birdie to take a one-shot lead. It was no surprise to see Tiger also victorious today.

I can only imagine the text messages between Roger Federer and Tiger Woods! Congratulations, Roger and Tiger!

1 comment:

Suzanne Woo said...

Just read Tiger's text message to Roger:

"Great going. Now it’s my turn.”

It must be nice to have champions as friends--to spur each other on, and share their insights on competing at the highest level!